Sunday, January 06, 2008

autumnal baked goods for january

pumpkin cinnamon rolls
The pumpkin cinnamon rolls from Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk. I added some raisins because... well, I just added some raisins, ok. Very good and not really that much of a pain.

cranberry bread
Cranberry nut bread. I modified an epicurious recipe. You could definitely add more cranberries. I didn't because my cranberries were old and it was annoying picking out the bad ones.

Preheat oven to 350 and grease up a loaf pan.

Collect 2 t zest from and then juice 2 navel oranges. Put the juice in a measuring cup and add soymilk up to 1 cup. Then put in the blender with 1/4 c silken tofu from a box and blend until completely smooth. Put the rest of the box of tofu into the refrigerator, forget about it for a week, and then throw it away.

Mix together:
2 c flour
1 c sugar
1.5 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/2 t baking soda

Cut in until crumby:
1 stick Earth Balance

Stir in the liquids along with 1/2 t vanilla and the orange zest, until just barely combined. Stir in 1 c (or more!) coarsely chopped cranberries and 1/3 c chopped walnuts.

Bake until whatever you can find to stick in there comes out clean, about one hour.

3 comments:

Evan Kessler said...

I'm probably not going to cook any of this stuff, but I have to say I really enjoy the picture.

Cakespy said...

This all looks way too delicious for me to be able to wait 1.5 more hours til lunch!

Liz² said...

that cranberry nut bread... looks SOOO good. and how have I not made those pumpkin rolls yet? nice addition with raisins, I'd totally do that, too.